Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Flight South - Leg 2 of 5

After having spent a good 12 hrs in LA I boarded a 747-400 at 11:50 PM local time for the 14 hr flight from LA to Sydney on the 2nd leg working my way south to Antarctica. One big plane.


At this point I had gone 24 hrs without any sleep on purpose. Why would anyone do that? My logic was that the 14 hr flight to Sydney would arrive at 9 AM local time. I could sleep on the flight and arrive "refreshed" in Sydney, resetting my internal clock adjusting to the drastic time changes.
The plane was packed to the gills. Not one seat was left empty. I slept intermittently for a few hrs here and there in a small cramped seat making the best of it. The Qantas crew was impecable with their service and attention to detail. Something that has been missing from US carriers for decades. Truly an enjoyable experience.

Morning came sooner than expected providing yet more time to gaze out at the beautiful skies.
Before I knew it we were on final approach into Sydney.


Once in Sydney I meet up with another Polie (persons working at the South Pole) and we proceeded to the Qantas Club lounge on the upper level of the airport. Yes, another lounge, and this one was much nicer than the one in LA! We were joined by our recruiting coordinator from Denver and enjoyed a very relaxing day before our next flight leaving that evening at 6:45 PM local time to Christchurch NZ. The spoiling continued.


Next Post? The Flight South - Leg 3 of 5





No comments:

Post a Comment