Friday, January 22, 2016

Packing For The Journey

Argg! I hate packing. It’s even more of a pain when figuring being away for more than eight months. Last time I did this it was off to boot camp and beyond. Uncle Sam made it easy by letting me know not to bring ANYTHING but about 10 select items. Easy day.
This time I got a weight allowance! 110 LBS of gear plus carry-on to the South Pole, but that includes the issued extreme cold weather gear, about 15 LBS. Well, what’s the problem? This should be easy. Who needs to take 85 LBS of anything to Antarctica? So I set off to go as “light” as possible only planning on taking the bare minimum. I started with the required cold weather undies, socks and misc. items that are no longer issued but needed to deploy. Then moved on to my everyday clothing, footwear, toiletries, electronic whatever’s and so on. I had piles all over the place and kept adding and removing to them as I reassessed the situation or depending on the amount of coffee had at that particular moment.


Once done making all of my piles and going through them a few times it was time to pack up the goods and weigh things out. I had planned for two checked bags (duffle and medium hard case roller), a backpack and a computer case (man bag) for carry on. What could possibly go wrong? Keep the bags to a minimum, keep the piles light and drive on. Right?

The final tally (after removing items) was as follows:

1.       Duffle bag came in at 38 LBS, with mainly clothing in it. Not bad!
2.       Rolling hard case came in at 35 LBS, toiletries and misc. items. Doing good!!! Right?
3.       Backpack came in at….17 LBS..Ok, let me explain that one. The plan was that if I didn't see my checked bags until arriving in Antarctica I could live out of my backpack for several days of travel. It happens.
4.       Computer bag with charger, misc. documentation and other gadgets. 11 LBS I know, right? I have a Lenovo, a 14” at that!

So, what does all this mean? 73 LBS of checked bags through South Pole and the rest carry-on, unless I put some in the duffle bag since there is still a bit of room in it. I have a total of 101 LBS of, everything…So much for traveling light!


Next post? Flying Out of DC 1st Leg.

1 comment:

  1. Onces make pounds and pounds make pain. Good thing you not backpacking in! :)

    Todd

    ReplyDelete