Friday, January 22, 2016

Escaping Snowmageddon 2016 The Flight South - Leg 1 of 5

Yeah, that's right. I got out of the DC area just in time! I had been tracking that monster for days leading up to my flight. That flight, the first leg of my trip south from IAD to LAX had been scheduled for Friday (today) at 5PM. Everything I looked at for days told me that it was not going to happen.


I often review weather reports for project specific activities and this time my senses were tingling. Maybe it was the fact of having many connecting flights to get to the South Pole. 15,000  miles of flights! I was lucky enough to have switched the 5 PM flight for the first flight out of DC before everyone else figured it out. The flight that would depart today before the snow monster arrived. Thursday night I got notice of the cancellation for the original 5 PM flight. By the time I arrived at the airport this morning flights were being canceled from SC up at a steady clip. My flight came in from LA and was flying back to LA with me on it!

Window seats are my preference. I like taking in the beauty of the crisp blue skies, the clouds in all of their variations and the ocasional plane that seems to be flying WAY to close. Today I got a few never before seen treats. The Rockies from 20+ thousand feet:


 And the Grand Canyon:


Suddenly I realized that with all of the splendor to be seen within this country I was on my way to Antarctica for a cold dark winter. COOL!

LAX, holy moly! Now this is one crazy airport. There are buses that run you from terminal to terminal that have to stop for planes. Big planes and they are everywhere!


I took a bus from terminal 6 to terminal 4 where the AA Club is (very nice) since I would have a 12 hr layover. Best few bucks spent on travel ever. The same buses will take you to the international terminal with a valid boarding pass without having to deal with going through security again. Sweet!
Did I mention that these "clubs " have showers? Nice ones too. And free food and beverage..Yeah, I'm spoiled.



Next Post? The Flight South - Leg 2 of 5




1 comment:

  1. Great to follow your life adventure !
    thanks for the updates
    Good call on the flight
    We got an all time record at BWI 29.2
    With 36" here in our neck of the woods !

    ReplyDelete