Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Flight South - Leg 3 of 5

Time flies when in a comfortable lounge being pampered with excellent service. It was time for us to board yet another plane. This time to Christchurch NZ on a no frills 737. So I thought. Another Qantas operated flight and the crew did not disappoint. Not only was the crew and service to brag about but the plane wasn't full! There was no one next to me in my row affording much more room and comfort. The flight took off on time if not a few minutes early. Once in the air it was time for more window gazing when I noticed yet another beautiful sky. This time at dusk with a rising full moon.

On this flight I met another two Polies in rout to the ice. We were all converging in NZ for our final few flights to the South Pole. We arrived in NZ at 11 PM local time. A this point we would have to recover our baggage that had been checked through from our airports of departure. I hoped to see both of my checked bags as this would be a good thing. Found them! They looked like they had been around the world and not treated very well in the process. My rolling hard case showed signs of stress, structural stress. It took a beating. Who has the duct tape?


After gathering my bags I took everything through NZ customs and immigration where I secured the 12 month visa needed for my winter deployment to Antarctica. From there it was on to the hotel for some much needed rest. The hotel sits just across from the airport and next door to the Antarctic Center. I walked to the hotel underestimating the power of the 101 LBS of gear I would have to lug to the hotel. It kicked my butt.


Next Post? Time at the CDC (Clothing Distribution Center)

No comments:

Post a Comment