Tuesday, January 26, 2016

On the Ice at McMurdo Station

Last night around 9 pm our flight form NZ arrived in Antarctica. The landing on the ice was interesting on the ski equipped C-130. Shortly after landing we were taken into town (or "Mac Town" as it is referred to by those that spend time here) for more orientations, room assignments and more. It took 40 minutes to travel from the runway to the station. Once settled in I walked outside of the dorm building to take a look at the surrounding scenery, it was now 11:30 pm and broad daylight. Amazing!


McMurdo looks like an old mining town/outpost in the middle of nowhere with it's dirt roads crisscrossed power lines and utility vehicles moving cargo from place to place. It is a 24/7 operation. There are always people working. My transit through Mac Town will be short as I will be departing for the South Pole tomorrow, weather permitting. My flight was to be today but I and others got bumped so room could be made for some DVs (distinguished visitors). I got bumped! Well, the perfect travel streak could not go on forever. At least it gives me a day to rest and reorganize some gear.

Next Post? Pole Flight - Leg 5 of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment